Friday, December 24, 2010

"Excerpts from Austin first letter from Fayettville:



"My new companion is an older guy named Elder Kayden Tabil. He turns 21 next month. He is Phillipino. We have the same purpose and we should be able to get along, and so far we are pretty good friends. He has only been out 5 months next month, so he started off our relationship by saying that we are actually there to train each other. He is a great guy and together we have grown spiritually to a height that I haven't before. We are serving in the Fayetteville 4th Ward. It has been a slow area ... so Elder Tabil and I are working double time to catch up, but overall our mission is on fire. Well my first baptism is this Saturday. We only have 2 other investigators, so the theme of this transfer has been to find."

"...we prayed and decided to pack a lunch and spend our day right in the heart of the ghetto. 15 min after we prayed, we received a phone call from a member telling us an address for someone to visit. The house was on the street that we had decided to go visit- if that isnt neat! The next morning we received a referral and this one was for the street right above the last street. Sufficeth me to say, we needed to go there and the Lord was telling us that. As soon as we got there we instantly found success as people were interested in our message and wanted to learn more. I am very humbled by the power of prayer and obedience. It works, it really works. That was the most successful day I have had so far."

"As for my transition, it has been different. I spent the first night at the mission home where President Cotteral interviewed me. As I was leaving he pulled me aside and said "you are a different missionary. You will be one of the greats here. I look forward to serving with you." I thanked him and he insisted his point. I hope I dont let him down."

"The ward has been very warm to me. They love to help the missionaries, and while we don't have very much money, they fill in the rest. The lord provides for his own. I am convinced that one reason why missionaries live in such humble circumstances is so that they can bear witness of this to those who struggle with principals such as tithing. It may not make sense to us, but it does workout."

I feel the lord's love in my life and am doing fine. Please don't worry about me. One amazing scripture is 3 nephi 18:32. Read it and see what you can gain from it and then tell me. I will tell you next week what I have learned from it."

"Share this with everyone. I love you all and wish you the best. - Elder Johnson"

Austin leaves everyone with a challenge-
His challenge: leave a message with every member of our extended family; grandparents, cousins etc.; simple say "we just wanted to say we love you and are thinking of you. Have a great day." You'll be suprised at what this can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment